He was very relieved to find that his cell phone wasn't shattered. "Hello? Patch me through to White Wind. Hey, Tornado, I need a ride out of Kansas. No, seriously, though, I took a good couple of cracks to the head; I really can't travel alone right now."
"Why didn't you call an ambulance?"
"I don't wear a mask, so I wouldn't be able to get out without revealing my secret identity."
"What? Oh, you're having trouble staying invisible. Okay, I'll figure it out. Where are you?"
**********
Side by side at a hotel across the city, the reporter and her companion entered the elevator down from the top floor. It was the end of their whirlwind weekend, and she was shocked to find that she didn't regret it at all. In fact, she even recommended it via text to her friend Angie, whose coworker had been suggesting something similar for weeks.
Her... she didn't know what to call him. He certainly wasn't a boyfriend, though she wasn't completely closed to the possibility. In any case, he shifted, clearly too warm in his wool coat. He put one hand in his pocket. Maybe he should've waited until they got outside.
He gave her a faint smile. "Well, I guess this is goodbye, since we won't be seeing each other again."
In return, she offered him a coy smile. "How can you be so sure?" The smile fell from his face, leaving a cold mask.
"Because you'll be dead," He responded. His hand shot out of his pocket, revealing a gun, and he shot her dead. On the next floor he got off, nonchalantly leaving via the stairs.
No comments:
Post a Comment