A Little Info

SAG NYC is a superhero story
told in 2-6 paragraph increments,
perfect for a short break.

Learn what SAG NYC is about
and start reading from the beginning.

Friday, April 17, 2015

Magenta Burst/White Wind: powers

           “First, I need you to describe to me how you fly.”
           “What?”
           “What you do to fly, what that’s like.  So take my wind powers.  I guess you could say it’s a little like breathing: somewhere between a release and a force, depending.  But without knowing that, it’s just a guess.  It could be like flexing a muscle.  It could actually happen when I flex specific muscles.  Or maybe it’s like going outside of myself, pushing the air around with a part of me that doesn’t technically exist.  It might not make a difference, but I’ve found it makes a difference in how a person optimizes their powers in combat.”
           Macie nodded and swallowed.  “When I fly, I guess it’s like I’m tightening a whole bunch of muscles, mostly in my core, and using them to force myself up.  Or, you know, in whatever direction.”
           White Wind frowned in thought a moment.  “So it’s not like floating.  It drains you, probably significantly more than keeping your feet on the ground, and- you can’t hover?” Macie shook her head.  “Okay.  The first thing that comes to my mind when you tell me you can fly is reducing some of the abuse on your body.  The second is cover, and the third is increased maneuverability.  Since your flight is specifically motion, it’d be as an exaggeration of motion.  It’s probably too difficult to try to go in the opposite direction.
           “Alright, let’s practice that, and then I’ll show you some basic kicks and punches.”

           White Wind shoved Macie backwards.  She hit the mat.  Again and again.  Her best results only managed to make her go a little further back.  But it was only the first week, and she knew she wanted this, more than anything.

No comments: